This recipe makes approximately 5oz of foundation
- 1.5oz Almond Oil (or unrefined, raw, organic carrier oil of your choice)
- 1oz Shea Butter (organic, raw, unrefined)
- .5oz Cocoa Butter (organic, raw, unrefined)
- .5oz Beeswax
- 1/8t Vitamin E
- .5oz Zinc Oxide (UN-coated, non-nano, and not micronized)
- Cocoa Powder (organic)
- Cinnamon (organic)
- Kitchen scale
- Container for finished product (see more below re: container choices)
- Using your scale and the tare function, measure and combine the first five ingredients into your double-boiler.
- DO NOT add the zinc oxide, cocoa powder, or cinnamon!
- Completely melt the first five ingredients, stirring occasionally with your whisk.
- Remove from heat and allow time to cool a bit (a few minutes…and wipe excess moisture off the outside of your bowl, too).
- Place your bowl back on the scale, hit tare, and add in spoonfuls of zinc oxide until you get to .5oz. This gives you approximately a 20 SPF coverage (as it’s approximately 10% of the total weight. Whisk to completely combine.
- Add 1/8t cinnamon; whisk to combine.
- Add cocoa powder a little at a time and whisk to get to the color you need…
- 1/2T cocoa powder is a light foundation
- 1/2T plus 1t is a medium foundation
- 1/2T plus 2t is a medium-dark foundation
- Simply start with 1/2T of cocoa powder, whisk to combine, check on your wrist for a color match, and add more cocoa powder (1/2t at a time) until you reach your perfect color
- Pour into your selected container and allow to cool.